I baked this quite sometime ago! But have been lazy to put up this post… After I moved to “danceandspice”, thought I should start with something spicy yet sweet recipe.
So here you go!
For this preparation, you will bake a cake, pour some fresh syrup and then the icing…!!! Not difficult at all 🙂
- Maida – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup (I used in the crystal form itself. Can be powdered too)
- Butter – 200 gms
- Eggs – 2 or 3 ( I used 2)
- Milk at room temperature – 5 tsps
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
- Lemon yellow food color – As much as you need
- Salt – pinch
Water, Sugar, Honey, Rose water – You may use them in your comfortable proportions depending on how juicy you want the cake to be.
This is the best I liked about this cake. For this you need Jam (I used mixed fruit jam) and Chilli Powder (Hotness)
- It is advised to keep the butte at room temperature. But I just microwaved the butter slices for half a minute to soften them. i just couldn’t wait!
- Beat the eggs and sugar till the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Mix in the butter into this and use the hand mixer to mix it well. At this stage it will become little more fluffy.
- Add milk and vanilla essence into this. Then we are done with all the wet ingredients.
- Then add all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl except for the food color.
- In about three turns, add the dry stuff into the wet ingredients bowl and mix it well.
- In the last turn add the food color as per your wish.
- Preheat the oven
- Baking temperature : 180 degree C
- Baking time : 40 minutes (In microwave I put it at 43 minutes)
After 15 minutes of baking, we can start the syrup.
- Take water in a vessel and add sugar in it and stir it till you get syrup consistency.
- Just when you are about to see that consistency, add about 1/2 cup of honey and stir it well.
- When you are about to be done, add 4 to 5 drops of Rose water (This is optional)
- Let the syrup cool down while the cake is baking!
- Once the cake is baked keep it on a wire rack for cooling.
- As it is cooling, pour the syrup on the hot cake so that it settles deep down.
- Leave it aside for some time as we do the icing!
I used a small pan to make this icing.
- Take about 3/4 of the 250 gm Jam bottle on the pan and stir it on sim till it loses its hard consistency. It will turn into liquid form slowly.
- Then add about 1/2 spoon of chilli powder (Don’t use too much as that would make the cake too spicy).
- Stir it well. The mixture is now dark red in color.
- Directly from the stove, spread this on the cake evenly .
- This mixture tends to become hard as soon as you take it out of the stove.
Just sprinkle some coconut powder…. Your spicy honey cake is ready to EAT..!!!!!
Source: Vah Chef